So any kid who has grown up with Set Max can vouch that Sooryavansham probably runs more in our houses than tap water or electricity. A recent millionth watching of said Sooryavansham (starring Amitabh Bacchan, Amitabh Bacchan, Anupam Kher and Saundarya) is an underrated classic.
So the stern and commanding Thakur Bhanu Pratap Singh (Amitabh Bacchan) banishes his son Heera (who is also played by Amitabh Bacchan. Whaaaat?) because he is illiterate (Heera, not Thakur Bhanu Pratap Singh). So the story is fairly simple and heartwarming, and there are several moments (not including the hilarious subplot involving Kader Khan and Anupam Kher) that makes it truly awesome.
(Excuse the picture quality!)
1) When ACP Pradyuman brings back the food Radha has cooked for her mother and at first the mother s all snooty and rejects it but wakes up at night and eats it, only to be caught by ACP Pradyuman, to whom she tearfully asks if her daughter is happy or not.
2) When Heera works super hard and becomes mega successful and suddenly has like a bunch of buses and a huge house. It’s awesome.
3) When Gauri is totally owned by Radha and it’s EPIC. Radha may be all sanskaari but she is sassy as hell.
4) When Heera’s son meets Thakur Bhanu Pratap Singh (who is his grandfather) and they totally become BFFs. It’s the cutest thing ever. The kid is not very bright thought, I mean it’s just a beard, and he doesn’t recognise that stranger h is best friends with totally looks like his dad.
5) When Heera finds out, in a kind of hilarious way, that his son is friends with his father, who never gave him his approval, he tells him to touch his new friend’s feet because that will give him a lot of happiness. It doesn’t sound much here, but the scene is actually quiet touching . If you don’t cry on that scene then you have no heart.
6) When Thakur Bhanu Pratap comes to Radha’s office (when he doesn’t know that she is the collector of that area) and she very sneakily touches his feet, as he is her father in law. Seriously, Radha is totally my favourite character in this movie.
7) When Heera’s family secretly attends the inauguration of his hospital, which is incidentally named after his father, and Heera gives a touching speech about his relationship with his dad. Seriously Bhanu Pratap, just tell him you love him already!
8) When Heera and Bhanu Pratap team up and kicks Bulla’s ass and it’s awesome.
9) When everybody is happy and sing and dance together. Yay!
(By Salva Mubarak)